Chocolate... how much is dangerous and what to do? | Dogzine

Chocolate... how much is dangerous and what to do?

chocola

Hundreds of dogs will soon be visiting the vet. Why? Because they are in the dark days before Christmas and have found somewhere  a bowl of chocolate and eaten the whole. In England thousands of cases like this happen each year. This year so far already 6600 dogs had to run into hospital, an increase of 138% compared to 2014. On average, a visit will cost around 350 euros.
Chocolate is just bad for dogs. A dog eating chocolate can run a big risk! Chocolate contains theobromine, a highly toxic substance to dogs. How dangerous it is depends on the type of chocolate that has been eaten and the quantity.

White or dark chocolate

White chocolate is virtually harmless. Milk chocolate is already more dangerous, dark chocolate is toxic to dogs. Was the chocolate eaten less than three hours ago? It helps to induce vomiting.  Rush to the vet for an injection. Was the chocolate eaten for more than three hours ago? The theobromine is already absorbed by the body and admission to a pet hospital is necessary.

Look at the picture just how much risk your dog has suffered.

chocolateenglish

 

Wellicht ook interessant

loulou

Parasite kills 9 month old puppy

People sometimes tend to think lightly on deworming, but it deserves more attention. The sad story of Loulou proves this point. Her owner gave us the permission to share her story.

de pups van willemijn

Willemijn is mother of ten beautiful puppies...

For three weeks we followed Willemijn, saw how her belly grew and grew, how her movements got slower. And, a little earlier than expected, the pups arrived.

Haas (foto pixabay)

Tularemia diagnosed with two people in the Netherlands, disease on the rise again

In the first half of 2016 a patient from the province of Utrecht (NL) was infected the zoonotic disease tularemia (hare plague). This was reported on the Hunting Association's website.